Also Sprach Brian J. Murrell:

> I am sure everybody has seen this:
>
> http://www.lwn.net/2001/0503/kernel.php3
>
> It would seem that one can no longer use dump (assuming one is using
> Linux 2.4) to backup live filesystems.  So is everybody here now using
> gnutar to backup filesystems on Linux 2.4?
>
> Is there any loss of functionality to using gnutar?
>
> b.
>
> --
> Brian J. Murrell

Well, that's dump for ext2. I've been using GNU tar under Linux since I've
trusted dump for ext2.

Now ReiserFS does not have a dump util as far as I know. XFS does have
xfsdump which has behavior in between tar and dump (does filesystem
access rather than raw device but does not touch atime) so you may
try converting to XFS. IBM JFS under AIX's backup util has filesystem
and inode backup modes but I don't think their dump for JFS is ready yet.
I don't know if anyone had tried BRU with Amanda but it has tar-like
syntax and may work without much difficulty.

I'm experimenting with XFS now and if I run into any glitches
I'll let the Amanda list know. I'd like know how to tell Amanda
to use xfsdump rather than GNU tar on XFS partitions.

--
C. Chan < [EMAIL PROTECTED] >
Finger [EMAIL PROTECTED] for PGP public key.