My amanda server is a linux box mybackup.me.com 192.1.1.1
My solaris client is a solaris 7 box sun-server.me.com 192.1.1.2

The email says everything was backed up and the index file lists all
the correct files, but when I try to extract a file it asks me if I
want to restore it to a <scrambled text> dir instead of the proper
dir. What's wrong?

# amrecover -C Daily
AMRECOVER Version 2.4.2p2. Contacting server on
mybackup ...
220 mybackup AMANDA index server (2.4.2p2) ready.
200 Access OK
Setting restore date to today (2001-01-17)
200 Working date set to 2001-01-17.
200 Config set to Daily.
501 No index records for host: mybackup. Invalid?
Trying mybackup ...
501 No index records for host: mybackup. Invalid?
Trying localhost ...
501 No index records for host: localhost. Invalid?
amrecover> sethost sun-server
200 Dump host set to sun-server.
amrecover> ls
Must select a disk before listing files
amrecover> setdisk /mydir
Scanning /dumps/amanda...
20010117: found Amanda directory.
200 Disk set to /mydir.
amrecover> ls
shell-init: could not get current directory: getcwd: cannot access
parent directories: No such file or directory
2001-01-17 .
2001-01-17 bin/
amrecover> cd bin
amrecover> ls
shell-init: could not get current directory: getcwd:cannot access
parent directories: No such file or directory
2001-01-17 .
2001-01-17 core.html
amrecover> add core.html
Added /bin/core.html
amrecover> extract
Extracting files using tape drive /dev/nst0 on host mybackup.
The following tapes are needed: DailySet222
Restoring files into directory ¨yass@%^!%@#^!?

The amanda.conf on the server used a dump rather than gnu tar and
compression was enabled.

The linux versions were:
dump 0.4b19
tar (GNU tar) 1.13.17

The sun versions were:
# dump -V
dump: Software Generation Utilities (SGU) Solaris-ELF (4.0)
The gnu tar is /bin/tar which come with solaris 7

Is amrecover refusing to restore the file because it was dumped on
solaris which has compatibility issues with the linux dump?

Thanks.
Free, secure Web-based email, now OpenPGP compliant - www.hushmail.com