Robert Vetter wrote:

[...]

> Now I want to backup some directorys from other machines, which run
> FreeBSD. I have installed the client there, and did all the required
> modifications of system files. amandad seems to work fine. It runs as
> user operator. I also created the ~operator/.amandahosts file which
> consist os this line:
>
> devel3.pss.local      backup
>
> Now when I run the amcheck program on the server I get this error
> message:
>
> ERROR: office.pss.local: [access as operator not allowed from
> [EMAIL PROTECTED]] open of //.amandahosts failed

You'll need to make sure that "operator"'s home directory is where you think
it is.  On FreeBSD, it seems to be "/" by default, and that is where amandad
is looking for the file.  You'll also want to make sure that the permissions
on the file are correct.  The following works for me:

> ls -l /.amandahosts
-r--------  1 operator  operator  27 Aug  6 21:46 /.amandahosts

I'm guessing that in your case, "/.amandahosts" either does not exist or
is owned by root.  If you would rather put that file somewhere else,
you'll need to change the operator user's home directory.

-Ben

--
Benjamin Lewis                        Thank goodness modern convenience is a
Database Analyst/Programmer                  thing of the remote future.