"John W. Price" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> Hi all:
>
> I am trying to learn how to restore a backup with amanda (v2.4.2p2).  I
> am using my laptop (running linux) as a guinea pig for this, under the
> assumption that if it doesn't work, I haven't lost too much.  As I'm
> planning to use this to upgrade my laptop disk to a larger disk (i.e.,
> use amanda to back up the smaller disk, install the larger disk, and
> restore), this assumption seems valid.
>
> My laptop disk has three main partitions: "/boot", "swap", and "/".  I
> created backup images of /boot and /, then swapped the disks.  At this
> point, the "RESTORE" file in /usr/local/amanda-2.4.2p2/docs says (under
> "client machine fails, system critical disk"): "...boot off the CD, and
> reinstall the system critical partition, restoring it to vendor supplied
> state."
>
> Does this mean:
>
> 1. Use fdisk or a similar program to *create* the partition?  If so,
> then how to I get this computer (which currently has no networking
> capability) to restore the files?

Yes, if you use tar doing the grunt work for Amanda. Partition size
does not matter (as long as all data fits in).

It may be different if you use dump. As it essentially backs up Inodes
it may cause trouble if you don't have an identical replacement disk.

> 2. Restore the entire /boot partition from the CD?  If so, this is also
> suboptimal, since the boot files have changed since the CD was burned
> (kernel upgrades and such).
>
> Most likely, I'm missing something simple here, but I haven't done this
> enough to know yet what that is.  I'd like to find out, however, before
> I need to know...

You just need a network connection to get at the data to restore and
to access the amanda binaries. This prelimary installation is
overwritten by the restore procedure. AFIK you could even use a rescue
system in RAM with network and disk/(tape) support for your hardware.

Johannes Niess