Hi,

I'm sorry for this slightly OT question.

As in subject, I've a SONY DDS2 tape drive with 90m DDS tapes which
behaves in a very strange way. I've loaded a tape and issued:

> tar cvf /dev/nst0 /stuff

tar doesn't complains.

After, I rewind the tape, extract the archive and verified that data is
stored correctly.

Now comes the tricky part.

If I eject the tape, Voila', the tape is unreadable. I get
after loading the tape:

> mt -f /dev/nst0 status

SCSI 2 tape drive:
File number=0, block number=0, partition=0.
Tape block size 512 bytes. Density code 0x13 (DDS (61000 bpi)).
Soft error count since last status=0
General status bits on (41010000):
 BOT ONLINE IM_REP_EN

> mt -f /dev/nst0 rewind (just to be sure)

> tar: /dev/nst0: Cannot read: Input/output error
tar: At beginning of tape, quitting now

>  mt -f /dev/nst0 status

SCSI 2 tape drive:
File number=0, block number=-1, partition=0.
Tape block size 512 bytes. Density code 0x13 (DDS (61000 bpi)).
Soft error count since last status=0
General status bits on (1010000):
 ONLINE IM_REP_EN

I get same  I/O error if issue  mt fsf 1  from a  rewound  tape. If I
overwrite  the tape with a new tar i'm again able to read the content
but unless tha  tape in not ejected.

Has anyon e seen  this before? The same kernel/st handles properly an
SLR-100. Needless to say that i face the same problem running amcheck.

TIA for any suggestion(s),

-m