At 02:48 PM 8/23/2001 -0500, Rebecca Pakish, you wrote:
>Let me apologize in advance for my lack of knowledge and experience.
>Being thrown into the world of Unix/Linux (willingly) and my first task is
>amanda.
>
>I'm running RH 7.1 on an old Dell 333 with an IDE drive and an external
>12/24 SCSI Seagate.
>I'm reading and re-reading "The Chapter" and am now trying to run the
>./tapetype, so I can config and practice with a Verbatim 90mm (I know this
>is too small, but I'm just practicing)... apparantly my syntax is all
>screwed up. I tried "man tapetype" and there's nothing. Make tapetype was
>successful because now when I enter it I get make: 'tapetype' is up to date.
>I also noted that it says to disable hardware compression everywhere, but I
>don't know what the flag is for this in RH 7.1 (like the "n" flag for no
>rewind)
>
>Please help...anyone!
>
>*How do you know she's a witch?
>She turned me into a newt once.
>A newt?
>Well, I got better*

By typing the command 'tapetype' you get:

 > ./tapetype
usage: tapetype -h [-e estsize] [-f tapedev] [-t typename]

where tapedev is your tapedevice (ex. /dev/nrsa0)

and typename is what you want to call the tape type.

         ex.     tapetype -f /dev/nst0 -t DAT  (RH 6.2)
         ex.     tapetype -f /dev/nrsa0 -t DAT (FreeBSD 4.3)

You can disable compression either through hardware or through software,
hardware is recommended.  Check your tape device for some kind of switch or
jumper to disable hardware compression.  As for disabling compression
through software, you can do this through the 'mt' command, for example:

mt -f /dev/nst0 defcompression -1

Check the mt man page.

Oscar