On Thu, 23 Aug 2001, Mark Holm wrote:

> Your hints were right on target. I converted your Perl to Bourne Shell and
> finished converting the script to work with the Qualstar. It is now working
> very well. Thank you!

Well, thank you!  I was hoping to find time to tear into this next week
and come up with a working changer script.  Hopefully now I won't have to.
I can just use yours!

> My box only has one drive, can anybody give me any
> hints on how to make this work with two? Would I just define a second backup
> set with a different set of drive parameters?

I believe that's the general idea, yes.  I'm wondering, though, what
happens if one invocation of the changer script tries to issue a
command to the changer device while the other invocation already has
it busy.  If the changer doesn't queue the requests but gives an error
to the 2nd requestor, then presumably we'll need a separate process to
drive the changer, and a changer script modified to send its requests
to an input queue for that process.

I _think_ there are at least a few folks here with multi-drive libraries.
Anybody have any hard data to share?

> Can somebody send me a mtx
> status result from a Qualstar that has 2 tape drives?

I can't today, but I have a 2nd drive on order so I should be able to
answer this in a few days.  I _believe_ we'll just see an additional
Data Transfer Element line in mtx's output, same as adding an additional
Storage Element.  I expect this DTE will be numbered '1', and will not
conflict numerically with Storage Element 1.  But we'll see.

-Mitch