* Eva Freer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> (Mon, Aug 13, 2001 at 11:52:48AM -0400)
> Amanda Users:
>
> We have a highly subnetted configuration of Solaris 8 and 2.6 boxes, mostly
> E220R's. The subnets are connected via firewalls. Each subnet has its own
> Amanda server with an Exabyte Mammoth tape drive. We use hardware
> compression only. The Amanda is 2.4.2p1 on most nodes.
[snip]

The usual concerns apply:
1) did you check the scsi chains on all machines to ensure proper
   termination, proper cables &c &c
2)  What is in the syslog on the hanging machine
3) You say the machine gets slower and slower (which means it's
   progressive).
   Did you try running top (or similar) on the machine to see what was
   happening (e.g. was the machine running out of memory ? out of swap
   space ?)
   Was there anything special in the /tmp/amanda logfiles ?
   [you will have to make sure /tmp/amanda is not mounted on tmpfs
4) Are you using software compression ?

> but the problem persists. Messages in the logs (not from amanda) indicate
> that the system is very busy (e.g. sendmail won't run the queue because the
> load average is too high.) Amanda is the only thing really happening other
> than the usual OS stuff.

Could you run top/ps -ef or whatever to see what exactly is runnig, and
what is hogging the CPU ?
Are you using ufsdump or tar dump ?

Kind regards,
 --
Gerhard den Hollander                           Phone +31-10.280.1515
Global Technical Support                        Fax   +31-10.280.1511

[EMAIL PROTECTED]                          POBox 1573
visit us at http://www.jasongeo.com                 3000 BN Rotterdam
JASON.......#1 in Reservoir Characterization        The Netherlands

      This e-mail and any attachment is/are intended solely for the named
  addressee(s) and may contain information that is confidential and privileged.
       If you are not the intended recipient, we request that you do not
         disseminate, forward, distribute or copy this e-mail message.
      If you have received this e-mail message in error, please notify us
           immediately by telephone and destroy the original message.