OK, I think I have amanda figured out :-)  At least I can save to a
tape and then restore from it using amrestore.

One of the reasons I chose amanda was it used 'standard' tools.
However I have not been able to read a tape made with amanda using
tar.  I've tried tar -tvf /dev/rmt/0cbn and using dd and piping the
output to tar but I just get 'this doesn't look like a tar archive'

Being able to restore using 'standard' UNIX utilities is important to
my overall backup strategy so can I use tar to restore from a tape
made with amanda?  If not, will dump work better?  I'm not prejudiced
either way.

--
-- Stephen Carville http://www.heronforge.net/~stephen/gnupgkey.txt
Government is like burning witches:  After years of burning young