Ok, I'm getting the selfcheck time out message for two of my 12 amanda
clients. They all have exactly the same configuration, as far as I can
tell. I have installed the latest amanda source on each client system,
using the same config settings. I have checked, double checked and
triple checked all the related recommendations in the FAQ and INSTALL
files.

When I run amcheck from the server, I get this message:

WARNING: net-cf9a5417: selfcheck request timed out.  Host down?
WARNING: net-cf9a5420: selfcheck request timed out.  Host down?
Client check: 12 hosts checked in 30.404 seconds, 2 problems found

On the two client machines, /tmp/amanda/ remains empty so it seems
that amandad is not even starting. I have rebooted the machines (last
resort, even though inetd is new enough to reload with SIGHUP).

Let me run through the steps and see if anyone can see where I missed
something:

[root amanda-2.4.2p2]# ls -ld /tmp/amanda/
drwx------   2 tape     disk         1024 Sep 27 00:10 /tmp/amanda

[root amanda-2.4.2p2]# ls -l /tmp/amanda/
total 0

[root amanda-2.4.2p2]# ls -l /etc/amandates
-rw-rw-r--   1 tape     disk          154 Jun  6 03:15 /etc/amandates

[root amanda-2.4.2p2]# ls -l /dev/hda*
brw-rw----   1 root     disk       3,   1 May  5  1998 /dev/hda1
brw-rw----   1 root     disk       3,   3 May  5  1998 /dev/hda3
brw-rw----   1 root     disk       3,   4 May  5  1998 /dev/hda4
<these are the only ones being processed>

[root amanda-2.4.2p2]# grep ama /etc/inetd.conf
amanda  dgram   udp     wait    tape    /usr/local/libexec/amandad amandad

[root amanda-2.4.2p2]# grep ama /etc/services
amanda          10080/udp                       # amanda backup services
kamanda         10081/tcp                       # amanda backup services (Kerberos)
kamanda         10081/udp                       # amanda backup services (Kerberos)
amandaidx       10082/tcp                       # amanda backup services
amidxtape       10083/tcp                       # amanda backup services

[root amanda-2.4.2p2]# ls -ld ~tape/
drwx------   4 tape     disk         1024 Sep 20 20:58 /home/tape

[root amanda-2.4.2p2]# ls -l ~tape/.amandahosts
-r--------   1 tape     disk           34 Sep 26 23:27 /home/tape/.amandahosts

[root amanda-2.4.2p2]# cat ~tape/.amandahosts
net-cf9a5425.FQD.net tape

There is nothing in /var/log/messages matching 'ama' or
'net-cf9a5425'.

Any ideas where I can look next?

TIA,

--