Hello,

I have a sony dds3 tape drive that is currently in use with amanda,
running on an intel based redhat 7.0 platform.  I have the following
variables set in my amanda.conf file:
        dumpcycle 2 weeks
        runspercycle 14
        tapecycle 29 tapes
        bumpsize 20 Mb

I have not figured out how to turn off hardware compression, nor am I
too worried about it except as an intellectual exercise.  I would like
to run my tapetype declaration by you guys to see if I could be tweaking
it a bit more.

If I interpret correctly the documentation, the tapetype declaration is
designed to give amanda a rough idea of the tape's capacity.

at first, I had the length variable set to "12288 mbytes" as listed in a
tapetype value listed on the faq-o-matic.  I noticed though that amanda
would only backup that much data.  I then modified it to "24576 mbytes",
the ideal compression.

I have finalized on "18432 mbytes" because that seems to be a reasonable
amount of data to expect to go on one tape.  My question: is this the
appropriate use of "tapetype", or should I be modifying a different
variable?

thanks for your time...

--jason

--