> I have full backups of a Linux machine on tape done with Amanda
> over the network. Now I would like to basically wipe the entire
> machine and restore entire system from backups which are on
> another machine. Amanda is configured to use 'dump'.

you can't wipe your running system and restore it in a single run

> If I just restore the files to another directory for copying them
> over later, then how am I supposed to replace the files which are
> in use by the machine?

dump works by filesystems, you'll have to place you files on another
partition/block device/hard drive in between

> Is there a way to restore, for example, the entire /usr
> partition 'with one go'?

you boot off a floppy/cdrom, mkfs your filesystem usually mounted to
/usr, mount it, cd to it and "restore rf <dump file>" or "export
TAPE=/dev/nst0; restore r" or something like this

> Am I a fool?

by doing backups - real man's stuff is mirrored on ftp servers all over
the world ;-)