Hello,

I recently had to recover some files 'accidentally' deleted by a user.
The client is 2.4.2p2 on a RedHat 7.0.  The server is  also 2.4.2p2
on a Tru64 alpha.  The partition is backed up with dump and
compressed on the client with gzip.

The problem is this :  when I ran amrecover as root on the client, at
the top of the partition, I was able to cd into the right directory, add
the vanished files to the recovery list and then ask to extract.  I put
the right tape into the drive and launched the recovery.

After some times (some hours really), nothing had happened, so I
looked on the server, and gzip was running (on the server !) using
about 0.5% of the CPU.  amidxtaped was running, and the tape
drive was occasionally busy. The partition is about 3 GB, so with
gzip so timid, I could wait some more days ...

Finally, I ran amrestore on the server, piped to restore -i, and the
restore took about 5 minutes.  I then transferred the files on the
client.

But isn't there a way to have amrecover perform faster?  Is client-
side compression the issue?

Thanks for any hint

Raoul
--