>     I'm running amanda 2.4.2p2 on a FreeBSD 4.4 machine as a client.
> The server is a RH Linux 7.1.  I cannot get the server to start the
> amandad service on the FreeBSD machine.  The FreeBSD machine does not
> have a firewall compiled with the kernel.  There is no firewall between
> the server and client.
>     The amandad service starts up manually (though, of course, it times
> out) on the FreeBSD machine.  When, on the server, I run the
> configuration that is supposed to back up the FreeBSD machine, it
> eventually times out.  There is no corresponding amcheck, amdebug, or
> selfcheck file on FreeBSD /tmp/amanda, or anywhere else on the machine
> for that matter.
>     The inetd service is running.  I have configured the inetd.conf like
> this:
> amanda stream   udp amanda stream   udp     wait    amanda
> /usr/local/libexec/amandad
> amidxtape stream tcp    nowait  amanda  /usr/local/libexec/amandad
> amandaidx stream tcp    nowait  amanda  /usr/local/libexec/amandad
>
>     What could be keeping the amanda service from starting?

You don't need the lines starting with amidxtape and amandaidx on a
client, comment them out.

You forgot the last argument on the lines - the name of the program
(argv[0]). Add it:

$ grep amanda /etc/inetd.conf
amanda          dgram   udp     wait    amanda
/usr/libexec/amanda/amandad    amandad
amandaidx       stream  tcp     nowait  amanda
/usr/libexec/amanda/amindexd   amindexd
amidxtape       stream  tcp     nowait  amanda
/usr/libexec/amanda/amidxtaped amidxtaped

Did you "kill -1 <PID if inetd>"?
Does "netstat -an|grep 10080" shows UDP 10080?
Does /etc/services contain port numbers for amanda, amidxtape and
amandaidx (the latter two for restores from your FreeBSD box).