In item <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, you write:
>Has anyone figured out how to run Amanda securely over the Internet? I
>have a single server at a webhosting site that I'd like to backup as
>part of the rest of my network backup. For various reasons, I can't do
>the obvious and setup a VPN.
>
>Suggestions welcome...
>
>--
>Harald Koch     <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

Hello Harald.

I'm not sure if this will handle what you're looking to achieve but a
while back, I'd patched amanda-2.4.1p1 to encrypt the backup data stream
as it traverses the net (ie. the UDP traffic is still unprotected).

That patch is available at ...
        http://cns.utoronto.ca/~pkern/stuff/amanda-patch/

The patch uses of a simple SSL tunnel tool which is available at ...
        http://cns.utoronto.ca/~pkern/stuff/sst/

Both URLs have README files so I won't clutter this message any further
with longer descriptions.

Hope this helps.
Paul Kern.