jeremy wadsack writes:
>It's run by inetd (or xinetd) so it is started anytime a new
>connection comes in. If it doesn't get anything from the connection it
>stops. Otherwise, you could end up filling up the memory / process
>space with amandad instances by nudging the port and then not
>connecting.

Ahh, I see.  That makes a little more sense. =]

>> The pertinent lines on the client's /etc/inetd.conf (which, for the time being,
>> happens to be the server as well) are as follows:
>
>> amanda          dgram   udp     wait    amanda  /usr/lib/amanda/amandad
>> amandad
>> amandaidx       dgram   tcp     wait    amanda  /usr/lib/amanda/amandaidx
>> amandaidx
>> amidxtape       dgram   tcp     wait    amanda  /usr/lib/amanda/amidxtape
>> amidxtape
>
>> ...on three lines instead of six, though, obviously.
>
>Uh, you said before that you were using xinetd. If so, don't you need
>to add a config file to /etc/xinet.d/ for the amanda connections?

Yes, sorry for the confusion.  I had plans of upgrading to xinetd from inetd
on a RedHat 6.2 system.  I have scripts for amanda located in /etc/xinetd.d,
however at the moment I've decided against switching to xinetd just yet, so,
alas, I've added the lines in /etc/inetd.conf.

>If you are using inetd, then make sure you restarted or reloaded
>inetd.

Oh yes, many times. =]

>In either case, check /tmp/amanda for a amandad.*.debug file to see if
>the connection is even starting amandad. If the file exists, it may
>give you more insight to where the problem is.

Actually, if I HUP the inetd process, the /tmp/amandad*debug files are not
even created.  If I go back to my errorful ways of starting amandad by hand,
it creates the file, but of course that's not the correct way to start
amandad.

On top of that, I can't telnet to port 10080 (connection refused), and I do
not have any sort of packet filtering or tcpwrappers on the machine at the
moment.

-Dave

--
david a. brooks