On Fri, 28 Sep 2001 at 9:18am, webmaster wrote

> I've been told that Amanada supports both windows and linux clients,
> but I have a few questions about this.
>
> 1. will it back up both clients in the same tape set?
> 2. Does it support backing up the data over multiple tapes?
> 3. Where do I find the clients for windoze 95, nt
> 4. Does it support windows 2000 as a client?
>
> Any suggestions or helpful hints would be appreciated.

There is no official client for any M$ system.  Amanda *can* back up
Windows shares, which it does via smbclient from a *nix host.  These
appear as regular entries in the disklist, and so can be in the same tape
set.

Amanda can spread data over multiple tapes (via runtapes), but each
disklist entry (e.g., a partition) must fit on a single tape -- spanning
is not (officially) supported yet.  Using multiple tapes in one run
requires a changer (which you can do manually via chg-manual).

The best place to start is the chapter on amanda at www.backupcentral.com,
and the INSTALL file.

--
Joshua Baker-LePain