>     [root@garfield amanda]# cat amrecover.20011010121258.debug
>     amrecover: debug 1 pid 2022 ruid 0 euid 0 start time Wed Oct 10
> 12:12:58 2001
>     amrecover: stream_client: connect(10082) failed: Connection
> refused
>     cannot connect to garfield: Connection refused
>     amrecover: pid 2022 finish time Wed Oct 10 12:12:58 2001
>
> And this is what I see in "/var/log/messages":
>     Oct 10 12:01:20 garfield xinetd[1927]: warning: can't get client
> address: Transport endpoint is not connected
[...]
>     Oct 10 12:01:21 garfield xinetd[1936]: warning: can't get client
> address: Transport endpoint is not connected
>     Oct 10 12:01:21 garfield xinetd[1923]: amandaidx service was
> deactivated because of looping
[...]
> [root@garfield amanda]# cat /etc/xinetd.d/amandaidx
>     # default: off
>     #
>     service amandaidx
>     {
>            socket_type             = stream
>            protocol                = tcp
>            wait                    = yes
>            user                    = amanda
>            group                   = disk
>            server                  = /usr/lib/amanda/amindexd
>     }
[...]

Please check again with "wait = no" (don't forget to SIGUSR1 xinetd or
to restart it - SIGHUP won't help).

$ grep ^am /etc/inetd.conf
amanda          dgram   udp     wait    amanda  /usr/libexec/amanda/amandad
amandad
amandaidx       stream  tcp     nowait  amanda
/usr/libexec/amanda/amindexd   amindexd
amidxtape       stream  tcp     nowait  amanda
/usr/libexec/amanda/amidxtaped amidxtaped