On Tue, 4 Dec 2001 at 1:21pm, Benjamin Gross wrote

> mt -f /dev/nst0 rewind
> /usr/local/sbin/amrestore /dev/nst0 lopt
>
> I get:
>
> amrestore: 0: skipping start of tape: date 20011204 label Eatoni-01
> amrestore: error reading file header: Input/output error
>
> I'm running Amanda on a linux box, 2.4 kernel, which has a pair of
> Onstream ADR.50 tape drives via scsi.  Amanda is setup to backup restore
> via dump/restore, not gnu tar.  I'm new to using Amanda, so I'm not sure
> what other information could be helpful.  Any assistance would be
> greatly appreciated.

Can you dump/restore by hand to those tapes?  Amrecover is just telling
you what the OS told it.  Look for errors in /var/log/messages, and try
manually using the tapes.  IIRC, there have always been issues with the
Onstream drives and Linux.

You can also try pulling the dump images off the tapes with dd.

--
Joshua Baker-LePain
Department of Biomedical Engineering