On Wed, Dec 05, 2001 at 12:03:41PM +0100, Moritz Both wrote:

> > Hi after 2 years of struggling with this crap and getting no where, can
> > anyone help me figure out what is causing these errors.
>
> > it seems to be random doesn't matter which tape or drive I use they all
> > do it. even changing machine and scsi controllers doesn't fix the
> > problem.
>
> > is it something I'm doing wrong.
>
> Which operating system do you use? Which version/s? Which tape devices
> have you tried? Which SCSI controllers? Did the other tape backup
> product work?

oh yeah sorry, its running on Debian Linux (sid) using amanda 2.4.2p2
the tape drives are a Sony DDS3 SDT9000 and a HP DDS4 Autoloader.
the scsi controllers tried are a adaptec aha1510 and an adaptec 2940.
the other tape backup product was NovaNet8 and it worked.

> To me this looks like the tape device can't read the files on tape
> ("I/O error") and tar complains as a result of that ("Unexpected
> EOF"). afaik amverify tends to mix up error message order in its
> reports.

I really don't know where to go from here, I've tried brand new tapes as
well.

since I sent the message I've moved the HP tape drive to another machine
which has a symbios logic scsi controller and different scsi cable. and
get the same problems. its even on a seperate channel on the scsi
controller.