Hi,

I've been having quite a bit of difficulty getting amrecover to work
properly.  I've been getting the "Unexpected server end of file" error,
and the logs in /tmp/amanda/ are not being updated, even though they
exist.  "tapeserver" is the server, and client is the client. Amanda runs
as "operator" on the tapeserver.

Here is the command I am using to attempt the recovery, as root, on client

amrecover Daily -s tapeserver -t tapeserver -d /dev/nst0

And Daily is the correct (and only) configuration I'm using.

Here is the ~operator/.amandahosts file from the tape server:

tapeserver operator
client root

The permissions on that file are as follows:

-rw-r-----    1 operator disk

And the appropriate lines from /etc/inetd.conf:

amanda    dgram  udp wait    operator /usr/sbin/tcpd
/usr/lib/amanda/amandad
amandaidx stream tcp nowait  operator /usr/sbin/tcpd
/usr/lib/amanda/amindexd
amidxtape stream tcp nowait  operator /usr/sbin/tcpd
/usr/lib/amanda/amidxtaped

/etc/inetd.conf had the user listed as operator.disk, which I changed.
After doing that, amrecover fails instantly, instead of hanging for a few
seconds.

I can ping / nslookup either machine by hostname, ip, or fqdn just fine.

I get the same message even if I put localhost root in the .amandahosts
file, and try running amrecover on the tapeserver as root.

/etc/hosts has all the correct information in it too.

I guess inetd cannot correctly start amandaidx...

Any ideas?

-Brian Ferguson.