On Wed, Dec 05, 2001 at 04:27:37PM -0500, Joshua Baker-LePain wrote:

> In general, installing pre-compiled binaries of amanda is frowned upon for
> exactly this reason -- many settings are specified at compile time.  Your
> only option (AFAIK) is to compile amanda with the portrange settings.

I do know how to recompile my own packages, I really do. I've done it
for years. But right now there are great package managers which can save
me a great deal of time spending on useless things like recompiling
packages, keeping track of dependencies, upgrading etc. Right now I
simply don't have the time to do all this manually, so I use packages. I
have other things to do on these systems, usefull stuff.  And if those
packages are able to set all their settings in some configuration file I
wouldn't have to worry about compiletime settings.

So please explain to me, what is so great about setting this all at
compile time instead of in a configuration file so that it can be
determined at runtime?

--
#!perl #                       Life ain't fair, but root passwords help.
# Eric Veldhuyzen                              [EMAIL PROTECTED]