On Sat, Dec 15, 2001 at 11:10:41AM -0500, Greg A. Woods wrote:
> [ On Saturday, December 15, 2001 at 12:40:56 (+0100), Christoph Scheeder wrote: ]
> > Subject: Re: dump fails with bread and lseek trouble
> >
> > This pops up every few weeks here on the list, its very simple:
> > you are backing up an active filesystem with a tool designed primary for
> > backing up filesystems mounted read-only.
>
> or not mounted at all!  ;-)

Hi, Greg!

Not that my own favorite, "tar", necessarily does any better in the
sense of being guaranteed to always preserve completely consistent
data from an active filesystem.  If I make corresponding changes in
files "a" and "b"  during backup, but backup grabs "a" before the
change and "b" after, my restore won't get back quite what I want.

But, since it doesn't attempt to descend inside the filesystem's
data structures, but only uses the user-eye view of what's there,
it won't produce quite so many threatening messages.

Bottom line is that it is difficult to make a good picture
with a slow shutter of something that's moving fast.  It's up
to the admin to decide, case-by-case, when the picture is
good enough.

 Dan Wilder <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>   Technical Manager & Editor
 SSC, Inc. P.O. Box 55549   Phone:  206-782-8808
 Seattle, WA  98155-0549    URL http://embedded.linuxjournal.com/