About 2 weeks ago I asked the following:

> I'm backing up a single W2K machine to my tape server.
> There are 4 partitions on the windows box.  Some nights
> al 4 partitions are processed normally.  Most nights
> 1 or more of the partitions fail with the query
> "host offline?" which obviously it is not as the other
> partitions are backing up.

I got a reply from Chris Marble that helped:

> I'd try cranking down maxdumps for just that host.  See if that helps.

Rather than change the maxdumps parameter (which probably would have
solved the problem) I chose to use the "spindle" feature and indicate
each of the 4 partitions are on the "same spindle".  Amanda limits
the number of dumps on each spindle to 1 at a time.

Since the change 10 days ago, not a single "offline" partition.

Thanks Chris!

--
Jon H. LaBadie                  [EMAIL PROTECTED]
 JG Computing