hi,
what about giving the changer-script a bit more time
to complete the move from tape 6 to tape 1?
if you use chg-scsi to control the changer, this is
our chg-scsi.conf

number_configs  1
eject           1
sleep           20
cleanmax        30
changerdev      /dev/sg2

config          0
drivenum        0
dev             /dev/nst0
startuse        0
enduse          5
statfile        /etc/amanda/tape-slot
cleancart       5
cleanfile       /etc/amanda/tape-clean
usagecount      /etc/amanda/backup/totaltime

and with it works rock-solid since month now.
hope it helps
Christoph