I'm using Amanda version 2.4.2p2-tapeio (from cvs) to run backups to a
hard drive instead of a tape. Using the file: driver went fine for a
couple days, now consistently produces "short write" errors.

Specifically the error message looks like this:

FAILURE AND STRANGE DUMP SUMMARY:
  10.0.0.16  hda4 lev 0 FAILED [out of tape]
  taper: FATAL syncpipe_get: r: unexpected EOF

The definition for the disk 'tapetype' is this:

define tapetype HARD-DISK {
    comment "Hard disk instead of tape"
    length 15000 mbytes  # Simulates end of tape on hard disk
}

And the changer.conf file looks like this:

multieject 0
gravity 0
needeject 0
ejectdelay 0

statefile /usr/local/etc/amanda/daily/changer-status

firstslot 1
lastslot 8

slot 1 file:/home/amanda/dumps/tape01
slot 2 file:/home/amanda/dumps/tape02
slot 3 file:/home/amanda/dumps/tape03
slot 4 file:/home/amanda/dumps/tape04
slot 5 file:/home/amanda/dumps/tape05
slot 6 file:/home/amanda/dumps/tape06
slot 7 file:/home/amanda/dumps/tape07
slot 8 file:/home/amanda/dumps/tape08

The file for the failed client/drive is 2056 MB. Could this be a 2GB
file size limitation problem I'm getting? If so, is there any way to
set a 'chunksize' equivalent for the tape definition?

Thanks,

--

Jeremy Wadsack
Wadsack-Allen Digital Group