answering my own question:

> * Amanda version : 2.4.2p2,
> compiled with --with-smb-client=/full/path/...

I tried to recompile again, and checked the
"configure" output:

$ ./configure ... --with-smblient=/usr/local/samba/bin/smbclient ...

(...)
checking for smbclient... no
(...)

but,

$ ls -al /usr/local/samba/bin/smbclient

-rwxr-xr-x    1 root     root       574817 Nov 22 16:01 smbclient

so, I guess configure doesn't parse the full path I give to him,
but tries a default one instead.
I then made a link to smbclient into /usr/bin (which is into the $PATH).

Then, "configure" works:

checking for smbclient... /usr/bin/smbclient

and "amcheck" works for the NT box after recompiling Amanda..

So, is there some mistake into the doc or into
the configure command, or did I miss something ?

thanks,
Pierre