IIRC, the tapetype test uses random data, so hardware compress may (?)
actually increase the amount of the data.

-Kevin Zembower

-----
E. Kevin Zembower
Unix Administrator
Johns Hopkins University/Center for Communications Programs
111 Market Place, Suite 310
Baltimore, MD  21202
410-659-6139

>>> Don Potter <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> 01/17/02 09:10AM >>>
I ran the tapetype test to our tapedrive (ADIC DS9400D) using DLTTAPE
IV.  I frontpaneled the compression so I expected at least 40 GB when
the tapetype was completed.  But I only got about 17GB:

Command: tapetype -d /dev/rmt/0n

define tapetype unknown-tapetype {
    comment "just produced by tapetype program"
    length 17587 mbytes
    filemark 13 kbytes
    speed 1011 kps
}

Then I ran it with software compression (/dev/rmt/0cn) and I only got
20 GB:

Command:   tapetype -d /dev/rmt/0cn

define tapetype unknown-tapetype {
    comment "just produced by tapetype program"
    length 19565 mbytes
    filemark 4 kbytes
    speed 1101 kps
}

Both ways I would of expected close to double the native writes.  Any
ideas why the compression would not of increased.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Don Potter