On Mon, 28 Jan 2002 13:01:40 -0500
"John R. Jackson" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> >... suddenly 3 of 14 mountpoints on the same machine failed
> >for reasons I don't get.
> >machine /some/mountpoint_1 lev 1 FAILED [could not connect to machine]
>
> Some things to check:
>
>   * See if there are left over amandad (or dumper) processes laying
>     around still running from a previous failure.
>
>   * Verify that the amandad service in inetd.conf/xinetd is set to
>     "wait" (the default is "nowait").
>
>   * Make sure you don't have multiple cron jobs running at the same time.

Thanks John,

 - client's inetd.conf says:
   amanda dgram udp wait backup /usr/local/lib/amanda/amandad amandad

 - server's inetd.conf says:
   amandaidx stream tcp nowait backup /usr/local/lib/amanda/amindexd amindexd
   amidxtape stream tcp nowait backup /usr/local/lib/amanda/amidxtaped amidxtaped

...that's what the doc/INSTALL told me to do, which was pretty good working the first
cycle of 11 tapes.
Now, just after reusing the very first tape, those errors occured so suddenly.
Obviously it was good to ask, because the new backup has even more faliures of this
kind!

I checked the cronjobs, there are the two like advised (one to check tape, the other
one to run amanda) for the backup-user, none for root or any other at the same time.

Checking running processes is a nightshift job, I'd like to avoid :)

Any more tips left?

adTHANXvance
Sascha