[I tried this only because I had the resources and a few minutes on my
hands-- the user and group are not what I would usually choose to configure
amanda]

As another datapoint to this thread-- using Compaq's commercial compiler,
amanda 242p2, and tru64 5.1A:
perl was found OK and the configure completed successfully.

my configure line:
./configure --without-server --with-user=snyder --with-group=wheel

Output of configure wrt file locking (these are cached only because I didn't
save the results before rerunning it-- the results were the same):
checking whether posix fcntl locking works... (cached) no
checking whether flock locking works... (cached) no
checking whether lockf locking works... (cached) no
checking whether lnlock locking works... (cached) no
configure: warning: *** No working file locking capability found!
configure: warning: *** Be VERY VERY careful.

results of file locking (from config.log):
configure:19060: checking whether posix fcntl locking works
configure:19080: cc -o conftest  -g           conftest.c -lm -ltermcap
1>&5
cc: Warning: ./common-src/amanda.h, line 946: In this declaration, parameter
1 h
as a different type than specified in an earlier declaration of this
function. (
mismatparam)
extern int ruserok P((const char *rhost, int suser,
-----------^
cc: Error: ./common-src/amanda.h, line 946: In this declaration, the type of
"ru
serok" is not compatible with the type of a previous declaration of
"ruserok" at
 line number 717 in file /usr/include/unistd.h. (notcompat)
extern int ruserok P((const char *rhost, int suser,
-----------^
configure: failed program was:
#line 19071 "configure"
#include "confdefs.h"

#undef  ASSERTIONS
#define CONFIGURE_TEST
#define USE_POSIX_FCNTL
#include "./common-src/amflock.c"

configure:19111: checking whether flock locking works
configure:19131: cc -o conftest  -g           conftest.c -lm -ltermcap
1>&5
cc: Warning: ./common-src/amanda.h, line 946: In this declaration, parameter
1 h
as a different type than specified in an earlier declaration of this
function. (
mismatparam)
extern int ruserok P((const char *rhost, int suser,
-----------^
cc: Error: ./common-src/amanda.h, line 946: In this declaration, the type of
"ru
serok" is not compatible with the type of a previous declaration of
"ruserok" at
 line number 717 in file /usr/include/unistd.h. (notcompat)
extern int ruserok P((const char *rhost, int suser,
-----------^
configure: failed program was:
#line 19122 "configure"
#include "confdefs.h"

#undef  ASSERTIONS
#define CONFIGURE_TEST
#define USE_FLOCK
#include "./common-src/amflock.c"

configure:19163: checking whether lockf locking works
configure:19183: cc -o conftest  -g           conftest.c -lm -ltermcap
1>&5
cc: Warning: ./common-src/amanda.h, line 946: In this declaration, parameter
1 h
as a different type than specified in an earlier declaration of this
function. (
mismatparam)
extern int ruserok P((const char *rhost, int suser,
-----------^
cc: Error: ./common-src/amanda.h, line 946: In this declaration, the type of
"ru
serok" is not compatible with the type of a previous declaration of
"ruserok" at
 line number 717 in file /usr/include/unistd.h. (notcompat)
extern int ruserok P((const char *rhost, int suser,
-----------^
configure: failed program was:
#line 19174 "configure"
#include "confdefs.h"

#undef  ASSERTIONS
#define CONFIGURE_TEST
#define USE_LOCKF
#include "./common-src/amflock.c"

configure:19215: checking whether lnlock locking works
configure:19238: cc -o conftest  -g           conftest.c -lm -ltermcap
1>&5
cc: Warning: ./common-src/amanda.h, line 946: In this declaration, parameter
1 h
as a different type than specified in an earlier declaration of this
function. (
mismatparam)
extern int ruserok P((const char *rhost, int suser,
-----------^
cc: Error: ./common-src/amanda.h, line 946: In this declaration, the type of
"ru
serok" is not compatible with the type of a previous declaration of
"ruserok" at
 line number 717 in file /usr/include/unistd.h. (notcompat)
extern int ruserok P((const char *rhost, int suser,
-----------^
configure: failed program was:
#line 19226 "configure"
#include "confdefs.h"

#undef  ASSERTIONS
#define CONFIGURE_TEST
#define USE_LNLOCK
#include "./common-src/amflock.c"
#include "./common-src/alloc.c"
#include "./common-src/error.c"
#include "./common-src/snprintf.c"

Here's what /usr/include/unistd.h has for ruserok (line 717)
extern int ruserok __((char *, int, char *, char *));