What I'm looking to do is something somwhat automatic - so I don't have to
do this every four days. I.e. is there a way to tell amdump to "overwrite"
a backup tape?

I.e. something like
amdump -force DailySet1

If so, then I wouldn't have to do all this amlabel crap. Also, is there a
way to get amanda to make .tar.gz's instead of its own format? In
addition, is there a way tt amanda to run several amandas at once?

I'm backing up stuff thats on a slow connection, so I've got plenty of
bandwith.. Sine amanda does stuff sequentially, I'm stuck waiting 20
minutes for some file to backup and im only using like uhm, 20k/s... So I
could be running 10 other amanda backups at teh same time ....

Do I just make multiple confs and put them all in my crontabs?

cosimo