On Wednesday 13 February 2002 12:21 pm, chandrasekar wrote:
>Hi everyone
>   I have a HP-DAT 24*6 tape drive attached to my amanda Back-up
> server. I have few questions.
>i) I had earlier labelled all the six tapes. Then I replaced one of
> the tapes(slot 6) with the cleaning tape. I tried labelling the
> cleaning tape with the same label that I gave for the normal tape.
> But it gave me this error "amlabel: could not load slot "6": Cleaning
> Cartridge Installed and Ejected" ii) How do I in general relabel the
> tapes?When I tried amlabel it says tape already labelled .

You don't label the read-only cleaning tape, but you do have to tell it
via amanda.conf or chg-scsi.conf, what slot the tape is in.  Be aware
that amanda uses base 0, so your drives slot 1 is amanda slot 0 etc.

>iii) How do I eject my magazine? I used the eject button in the tape
> drive to eject the magazine to place the cleaning tape into the
> magazine, but it loads the first tape and not the one(say 4) which
> was there before I ejected(which seems quite obvious). But how do I
> bring back to the original configuration(ie 4)

First do an amtape /config/ rest, followed by an amcheck /config/ which
should leave the drive with the next required tape loaded if it is in
the magazine.  Otherwise reload the magazine with the next set of tapes
and repeat.  Amanda needs a base camp to start from by doing the reset
after you've had the magazine out.  On some drives (Seagate robots) you
can push-button up the slot to load if the same tape is still in the
same slot as before the magazine was ejected.

>iv) How do I skip the tapelist order? Suppose I want to backup for
> today at tape 5 while the default is 3. what should I do in this
> case? I would be grateful if I receive answer to most of the
> questions if not all. thanks in advance

You'll be far better off not to try and second guess what amanda wants
to do.  By properly configureing the amanda.conf file, you can tell
amanda the basics of what you want to do, and then let amanda figure it
out from there.  You can even do an amdump out of sequence, and amanda
will simply use up the next set of guesses it would have used at 2am or
whenever you have cron running it, tomorrow morning, etc etc.

Once you get amanda figured out, and this does take a while, then you
might feel good about bossing her around, but for now, just buy her
lunch.   :-)