I've got an AIT-2 tape drive, which supposedly will hold 50-100GB.
the tapetype that I found, seems to say that it's 43GB:

define tapetype AIT2 {
comment "AIT-2 with 230m tapes"
length 43778 mbytes
filemark 3120 kbytes
speed 5371 kps
}

but what happens when the data is compressible? I'm doing little/no
compression on the client side for various reasons; and so amanda thinks
it'll run out of space on the tape. However, the tape drive's hardware
compression should compress the data down to at least some extent; and we
think it should all fit. (there's enough text files & the like, which should
compress really well).

will I have to enable compression on the clients, so amanda will believe
there's enough space? or is there a way to make amanda understand the degree
of hardware compression that this tape drive can do?

Carl Soderstrom.
--
Network Engineer
Real-Time Enterprises