On Sun, 3 Mar 2002, Ray Shaw wrote:

>On the other hand, if they really are terrible drives, could I get
>some recommendations?  I'd like something about that size (15GB
>uncompressed), and I could go with either internal IDE or external
>SCSI (probably better for various reasons).  The idea is to get
>something we can actually buy...I'm not worried about winning any
>speed competitions, I'd just like to have money left over to fix the
>printer, and have tapes that will last for a while :)

DDS3 drives are ~$250 dollars on pricewatch.com right now.  The DDS3 DAT
tapes are under $10 for 12GB native/24GB compressed.  AIT1 and DDS4
drives run about the same, ~$550 for a decent drive.  The tapes for DDS4
are under $20 for 20/40GB.  AIT1 tapes are ~$50 for 25/50GB and ~$60 for
35/70GB.

--
Brandon D. Valentine <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Computer Geek, Center for Structural Biology

"This isn't rocket science -- but it _is_ computer science."
        - Terry Lambert on [EMAIL PROTECTED]