Hello!

Last week I upgraded the OS of my backup-server from FreeBSD
4.3 to 4.5. After that there has been one unpleasant change in the way
that Amanda 2.4.2p1 behaves on that server.

I'm using the chg-manual script with HP DDS-3 drive (HP C1537A) which
the system sees as /dev/nsa0.

The problem appears if I forget to change the tape before the nightly
backup starts. Before the upgrade it worked the way it should: it sent
me mail once in a hour to insert the correct tape, and once I got to
work and inserted it, the backup proceeded automatically.

Now, after the upgrade, Amanda doesn't accept the tape I insert even
though it is the correct one. I have to kill all the amanda processes
and run amcleanup. Then I manually start amdump and it runs fine with
the same tape.

If the right tape is in drive when the backup start time arrives, the
backup runs without problems.

This has happened twice now with two different tapes.

When I watch the changer.debug I can see how the tape is rewound, the
header read and then the 'mt offline' command is issued which ejects
the tape... Looks like the changer just decides that this isn't the
right tape...

What might cause such a problem?
--
Toomas Aas | [EMAIL PROTECTED] | http://www.raad.tartu.ee/~toomas/
* Would a fly without wings be called a walk?