Mark,

You're touching on several different parts of Amanda here, so I'll try to
answer all of them separately:

1. You have to specify /dev/sda1 instead of /dev/sda because Amanda is
backing up a file system (aka partition), not a physical disk. You should
list each file system you wish to back up as a line in disklist. This allows
Amanda to back up file systems that are remote (NFS) or virtual
(//ntserver/share), or parts of file systems that are too big for one tape
(/home/ftp/public/mspatches).

2. I'm using EXB-8505 drives, I wouldn't worry about space, Amanda will use
it as best she can.

3. To use the second drive, you will need to use the 'chg-multi' tape
changer configuration. If you search the mailing list archives for
'chg-multi' and check out the FAQ-O-Matic, there will be more info (I don't
have any more, because I don't use it here.) Amanda will handle EOT cleanly
by redoing the partition that was interrupted by EOT on the next tape. You
will also need to change the 'runtapes' parameter in amanda.conf to specify
that you're using up to two tapes per backup. I would recommend getting your
disk list straight and doing manual changes before messing with changers.

Good Luck!