On Thu, Mar 21, 2002 at 12:16:10PM -0600, Brandon D. Valentine wrote:
> On Thu, 21 Mar 2002, Jon LaBadie wrote:
>
> >You won't.  After running a while amanda will spread the level 0's over
> >all the dump days.  So if your once a week tape "now" gets 40GB and your
> >daily "incrementals" now get 2, each will average about 8 GB daily.
>
> Actually it's even better than that.  Each tape should average a full
> 40GB.  Amanda will do its best to fill each and every tape to capacity,
> promoting as many full dumps per run as possible.  If you have 40GB of
> data and a 40GB tape drive, you should get a full set of level 0s on
> every run.

YMMV, but that has not been my experience.

My tapes are 12GB (dds3) and although I have about 50GB
(data precompression, not disk) to back up, my nightly
tape usage is about 7GB.

I thought the planner attempted to get a consistant
nightly backup, not a filled-tape backup.  Our differing
observations may be the result of different amanda.conf settings.

--
Jon H. LaBadie                  [EMAIL PROTECTED]
 JG Computing