On Wednesday, March 27, 2002, at 01:45 PM, Dan Barnes wrote:

> Has anyone out there successfully configured amanda to backup to a spare
> hard drive without backing up to tape?

I've set up a system using 2.4.2p2 to backup to nfs mounted drive space
just recently.  If you are able to use 2.4.3, there is a setting to save
to disk.  Check the docs or the mail archives.

For 2.4.2p2--
In your configuration file (amanda.conf):
1.  set tapedevice to "no-such-device",
2.  set rawtapedev to "no-such-device",
3.  set changerdev to "no-such-device",
4.  set tapetype to DISKSAVE,
5.  define tapetype DISKSAVE (this is mine, tweak as is appropriate):
      define tapetype DISKSAVE  {
          comment "Fake tape description for save to disk"
          length 1000 gbytes
          filemark 0 kbytes
          speed 2000 kbytes
      }
6.  modify the holding disk hd1 so it points to your backup disk, and
make its "use" value to be -1 (it will use the whole space for holding),
7.  set reserve to 0.

I think that covers all of the unique needs of saving to disk vs. tape.
The remaining configuration is the same as if you were using tape.