On 3 Apr 2002 at 1:22am, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote

> I have experienced this several times now on more than one machine.  For
> example:
>
>   vulcan.int /usr lev 0 FAILED [data timeout]
>
> When I check vulcan, I see dumps are still running and I have to kill
> them (after amdump has finished).

What type of machine, running what OS, and using what backup program?

If I may hazard a guess, is this a Linux box running a recent distro (i.e.
2.4 kernel) and using dump?  If that's the case, then this is a standard
problem (and the cause of a couple of near flame wars (or, as near as this
list ever comes)).  The only sure-fire method of solving it in this case
is to use tar rather than dump for your backups.  Although updating dump
to the most recent version may help as well.

--
Joshua Baker-LePain
Department of Biomedical Engineering