Jay Lessert wrote:

> On Wed, Apr 03, 2002 at 06:19:19AM -0500, Uncle George wrote:
> > It seems like when the whole procedure ( whether its labeling tape(s),
> > amchecking tape, or amdumping ) is complete, the tape is left in the
> > tape drive in an on-line state.
> > Is there some reason why the tape is not at least rewind-offlined, or
> > for tape changer folks rewoffl/unload'ed back to the carousel slot when
> > the job/task is finished?
>
> 1)  You would piss off people that are already doing:
>
>         amdump DAILY; amverify DAILY
>
>     ...from cron on a non-changer drive.
Maybe a visit to the toilet facility would do wonders to your
disposition. Its exceptionally arrogant of you to speak for us all.
Since you dont know how it will be implemented, i can only wonder how
you or god know that this will be true.

> 2)  Since it's already so easy to do any of:
>
>         amdump DAILY; amtape DAILY eject
>         amdump DAILY; amtape DAILY slot next
>         amdump DAILY; amtape DAILY slot advance
>
>     ...or anything else that makes sense for your particular installation,
>     why hardwire some particular behavior into amdump (which would then
>     inevitably be exactly the wrong behavior for some other poor schmoe's
>     particular installation)?

Amazingly arrogant.  I might think that on a power failure, as Quantum
points out, they will not be responsible for the tape left inside the
drive. AND i agree with  their, slightly over stated, belief. The
purpose of a backup is not just to do a backup, but be able to restore
that data - generally when Kaos strikes. A trashed tape, even to the
poor schlep who believes in you, is of no use to anyone. When you are
finished, take the tape out, and put it in a safe place.

BTW who said it was, or has to be hardwired. it need not be any more
'hardwired' than dumpcycle 0, or compress none, or simply a
EjectWhenDone yes .

BTW#2 you should be doing an
        amdump  BACKUP; amtape BACKUP physically_set_write_protect_tab; amverify
BACKUP