Another thing I don't quite understand, is what's the best thing to do
when I get

*** A TAPE ERROR OCCURRED: [[writing file: No space left on device]].
Some dumps may have been left in the holding disk.
Run amflush to flush them to tape.
The next tape Amanda expects to use is: a new tape.

Well, obviously, the simple answer is "run amflush", which is what I did
the last time I got this. The problem with this was that the flush
required a tape of its own, which was not what I wanted; what I really had
in mind was to write the dumps along with next day's backups. So what
should I have done? Perhaps Amanda would have handled this automatically
if I had left the holding disk alone? (I'm sorry, but it's quite hard to
test this now, for obvious reasons, and I can find very little information
on tape errors in the documentation.)

- Toralf