On Thu, 25 Apr 2002 at 4:27pm, Buchan Milne wrote

> We are just about to start on the upgrade of our Linux file server. When
> we are done, it will have:
>
> - -Approx 100GB SCSI RAID (approx 40% capacity utilised)
> - -Approx 45GB IDE RAID (approx 60% utilised)
> - -Approx 45GB IDE dumping disk
> - -6*20GB(40GB with hardware compression claimed) HP autoloader
> - -Additional servers totalling approx 100GB, no disk greater than
> approx 30GB
> - -Workstations, none with more than 5GB of data to back up.
>
> I would like to know what limitations this setup will place on our
> partitioning of the 100GB SCSI RAID.

While it's true that amanda can't span tapes with a single disklist entry,
you don't *have* to back up the whole RAID at once.  You're only limited
to backing up partitions if you use dump (which some people have issues
with on Linux).  If you're willing (and your tests back you up) to use
tar, you can break that RAID up into as many disklist entries as you like.
That's what I do to back up our 560GB (93% utilized, damnit) RAID onto
35GB native AIT1 tapes.

--
Joshua Baker-LePain
Department of Biomedical Engineering