> So if I want to persuade amanda to use more tape I should shorten the dump
> cycle, correct ? But I have a DDS-3 with native capacity of 12 GB and no
> changer. What happens if in a dump cycle there's more to be backed up than
> can fit on the tape e.g. if a lot happens to change on a couple of
> filesystems and level 1s get large ? What falls off the edge of the world ?

It depends on your value of tapesize and the size of your holding disk.
If the backup volume is larger than a single tape, but below holding
disk size, the rest will stay on disk waiting to be amflushed. If space
is really a shortage, Amanda will decide to leave off subsequent full
dumps to do some more incrementals. These are prioritized according to
your disklist entries and their configured priority.