On 22 May 2002 at 3:26pm, Kirk Strauser wrote

> > Not 100% correct as I see it. If you're using index, you'll be able to
> > browse through your indexes and select individual files for restore.  If
> > you not use indexes you will only be able to restore whole filesystems
> > with amrestore, or use the native tools such as tar or dump, combined with
> > mt.
>
> OK.  So you *can* still use amrecover, just not in the "FTP-like" mode.

No.  amrecover depends upon the existence of the indexes.  You can use
amrestore with or without indexing, but not amrecover.

> I hadn't thought of that, but it makes sense.  Unless, of course, you
> routinely manage to delete 1 or 2 files from /usr/bin, in which case
> indexing would still be handy.

My nightly amanda setup has 74 disklist entries of varying sizes, a
dumpcycle of 1 week, runspercycle of 5, and (here's the kicker) a
tapecycle of 60.  So I've got 12 weeks of daily history.  My indexdir is
135 MB.  With disk space as cheap as it is these days, I really can't see
any reason to run without indexing enabled.

--
Joshua Baker-LePain
Department of Biomedical Engineering