Hi,

Ok, so I have finally got Amanda to write a partition to tape.
Now I want to grab a file off of the tape.

I'm using Amanda-2.4.2p2 on FreeBSD.

After a successful amcheck and amdump, I run

# mt rewind
# mt fsf 001

to position the tape at the beginning of where I wrote daily001.
I'm following the instructions in Unix Backup & Recovery here - Chapter 4
page 183.

I have backed up /usr on the client machine, and in /usr I have a file
called usr.dump that I would like to recover. I am trying to do this with
the following command:

# dd if=/dev/nrsa0 bs=32k skip=1 | /usr/local/bin/gtar -xf usr.dump

... but I get:

/usr/local/bin/gtar: usr.dump: Cannot open: (null)
/usr/local/bin/gtar: Error is not recoverable: exiting now

What am I doing wrong here? Am I using the gtar command incorrectly?
I read through the tar manpage trying to find my mistake, but can't seem to
see what I'm doing wrong.

Any advice appreciated,

Shawn