>There's your problem -- the service isn't running.  Maybe an xinetd
>upgrade changed the functionality such that the three services in one
>file method doesn't work any longer.  In any case, break your
>/etc/xinetd.d/amanda file into three files -- amanda, amandaidx, and
>amidxtape -- and restart xinetd.  All three services should then show up
>in the above output.

I did that and no change...

[root@slaw root]# amrecover uadaily
AMRECOVER Version 2.4.2p2. Contacting server on slaw.unterlaw.com ...
amrecover: Error reading line from server: Connection reset by peer
[root@slaw root]# amrecover uadaily
AMRECOVER Version 2.4.2p2. Contacting server on slaw.unterlaw.com ...
amrecover: cannot connect to slaw.unterlaw.com: Connection refused
[root@slaw root]#

I can, however, see amandaidx and amidxtape when I chkconfig...
xinetd based services:
        chargen-udp:    off
        chargen:        off
        daytime-udp:    off
        daytime:        off
        echo-udp:       off
        echo:   off
        time-udp:       off
        time:   off
        amanda: on
        sgi_fam:        on
        finger: off
        rexec:  off
        rlogin: off
        rsh:    off
        ntalk:  off
        talk:   off
        telnet: off
        wu-ftpd:        off
        rsync:  off
        amandaidx:      on
        amidxtape:      on

>Well, I'm paranoid, so I always set up both ipchains and
>hosts.{allow,deny} fairly tightly.  Of course, I'm also in academentia,
>where every host (just about) is connected to the Big Bad Internet.

Ahhhhh...I see. I probably should be more paranoid...but we tightly
configured our big bad checkpoint firewall, so I think we're okay.