Well all my problems are basically due to the fact that Amanda refuses to
work with xinetd. This was suggested by someone on the list and I finally
decided to try it. Why doesn't Amanda work with xinetd? There is no good
debugging log that would help in figuring out this problem. Amandad clearly
does not recognize the IPv4 unicast bindings that it needs to with xinetd.

Here is my inetd.conf:

amanda  dgram udp wait backup /usr/local/libexec/amandad amandad

Here is my relevant xinetd.conf:

service amanda
{
     id             = amanda-udp
     log_on_success += USERID
     log_on_failure      += USERID
     socket_type         = dgram
     protocol       = udp
     wait           = yes
     user           = backup
     server              = /usr/local/libexec/amandad
}

This really looks like a bug in the program as xinetd and inetd are
designed to operate as identical as possible.

Thanks,
Cory Visi