From: Oscar Ricardo Silva [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Wednesday, June 12, 2002 2:01 PM
To: Martinez, Michael - CSREES/ISTM; [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: ./var/adm not being excluded

At 11:32 AM 6/12/2002 -0400, Martinez, Michael - CSREES/ISTM, you wrote:
>I had posted this msg before, but I had given the wrong info.
>
>I'm backing up / on one of my clients. I would like to exclude
>/var/adm/syslog from the backup.
>
>On my server:amanda.conf, I have defined a disklist entry with "exclude
>"./var/adm/syslog"" and I'm using this in my disklist file.
>
>But it's not working. tar continues to give me an error (actually a
failure)
>about "/var/adm/syslog: changes as we read it."
>
>Now, I know this isn't much of a problem. But since my Amanda report gets
>mailed out every day to the IT director and the project manager, I'd like
>NUKE this FAILURE message, cuz they think the backup is failing.
>
>Any help?!

Is  /var  a separate filesystem from  /  or  is it just a directory
under  /.  If it's a different filesystem then you need make your exclude
list RELATIVE to the root of the filesystem that you're on.  If /var is
different then the exclude item should be:

./adm/syslog

 From amanda.conf:

Note that the `full pathname' of a file within its filesystem starts with
`./', because of the way amanda runs gnutar: `tar -C $mountpoint -cf -
--lots-of-options .' (note the final dot!)  Thus, if you're backing up
`/usr' with a diskfile entry like ``host /usr gnutar-root', but you don't
want to backup /usr/tmp, your exclude list should contain the pattern
`./tmp', as this is relative to the `/usr' above.  Please refer to the
man-page of gnutar for more information.

If a relative pathname is specified as the exclude list, it is searched
from within the directory that is going to be backed up.

Oscar