Hi.

The sense data says a SCSI device/bus or power on reset occurred.

All is not well.  I assume you're using Linux, from the /dev/sg1 reference. Get the
mtx package installed, and see what that makes of your changer.

Nik

>>> Jason Brooks <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> 06/20/02 06:36PM >>>
Hello,

How do I get amanda to use the barcode reader on my brandnew
scsi-changer?  (it's an independant changer with its own scsi-generic
interface)

the changer appears to work otherwise, though I haven't actually begun
testing backups on it...

the ./docs/TAPE.CHANGER file contains the following:

        "To initialize the label mapping you can also do an amtape
        config show.  This will put the mapping for all tapes in the
        magazine into the mapping file."

This doesn't work for me.  enclosed is my changer.conf file and the
relevent entries from my amanda.conf file.

I would like to have amanda cross-reference barcodes to tape labels,
perhaps with an inventory control to verify barcode/amlabel mapping.  if
amand needs a certain label, it tells the chager to load barcode #n.

//cut from amanda.conf
tpchanger "chg-scsi"
tapedev "0"   # the abstract changer config in the changer file
changerfile "/usr/local/etc/amanda/changer/changer.conf"

//my changer.conf contents:
number_configs 1
eject 0
sleep 140
cleanmax 20
changerdev /dev/sg1

config 0
drivenum        0
dev                     /dev/nst1
startuse        0
havebarcode 1
enduse          12
cleancart       13
statfile        /var/amanda/DailySet2/tape0-slot
cleanfile       /var/amanda/DailySet2/tape0-clean
usagecount      /var/amanda/DailySet2/totaltime
tapestatus      /var/amanda/DailySet2/tapestatus
labelfile       /usr/local/etc/amanda/changer/labelfile

//sample contents of a chg-scsi*debug file
chg-scsi: debug 1 pid 1218 ruid 11600 euid 11600 start time Wed Jun 19 15:27:48
2002
chg-scsi: $Id: chg-scsi.c,v 1.1 2002/06/18 18:25:41 jason0 Exp $
ARG [0] : /usr/local/libexec/chg-scsi
ARG [1] : -slot
ARG [2] : current
Number of configurations: 1
Tapes need eject: No
Inv. auto update: No
barcode reader  : Yes
Tapes need sleep: 140 seconds
Cleancycles     : 20
Changerdevice   : /dev/sg1
Labelfile       : /usr/local/etc/amanda/changer/labelfile
Tapeconfig Nr: 0
  Drivenumber   : 0
  Startslot     : 0
  Endslot       : 12
  Cleanslot     : 13
  Devicename    : /dev/nst1
  changerident  : none
  SCSITapedev   : none
  tapeident     : none
  statfile      : /var/amanda/DailySet2/tapestatus
  Slotfile      : /var/amanda/DailySet2/tape0-slot
  Cleanfile     : /var/amanda/DailySet2/tape0-clean
  Usagecount    : /var/amanda/DailySet2/totaltime
         ##### START SenseHandler
Ident = [L500     6320000], function = [generic]
##### START GenericSenseHandler
##### START DecodeSense
GenericSenseHandler : Sense Keys
        Extended Sense
        ASC                           29
        ASCQ                          00
        Sense key                     06
                Unit Attention
Sense2Action START : type(8), ignsense(0), sense(06), asc(29), ascq(00)
Sense2Action generic start :
Sense2Action generic END : no match for generic   return -> -1/Default for SENSE
_UNIT_ATTENTION
##### STOP GenericSenseHandler
#### STOP SenseHandler

--