HI all-

Awhile ago, I built a system which was destined to be my webserver which
was a AMD Duron 800 with the "fabled" Kt133a Southbridge chipset.  AFter
numerous  backups with amanda, I kept on getting i/o errors and strange
dump reports using an IBM 45 gig ATA 100 drive.  On the system, the
drive was filled with dma retries and resets.  I tried a whole bunch of
stuff to solve this including stepping the system down to no-DMA but
still had the problems.  This was on a 2.4.13 kernel with the VIA ide
driver enabled; which usually fixes this sort of thing.  At the end of
things, the drive started clanking on copying my build to a replacement
disk drive and I realized that the drive was probably gonna fail on me
at any moment.  It also made me doubt that validity of backups since
each one seemed to have the strange dump reports in it  but they all
completed.

My main note here is to move carefully when using this particular
chipset and controller and different IDE drives.  For me, any amount of
intensive disk io caused the system to burp out literally hundreds of
dma reset/retry errors.  Replacing the drive with a Maxtor DiamondMax
80g drive solved the problems completely.

If you see dma resets/retries when doing amanda dumps, you may want to
doublecheck what you are using as far as dma settings on the drive.

--
Michael Perry | "Do or do not; there is no try" Master Yoda
[EMAIL PROTECTED] | http://www.lnxpowered.org